Shirley House Interfaith Centre Annual Report to ECC March 20225
- The committee met in July, September and December 2022. All these meetings were ‘hybrid meetings’ with some people meeting in person and others attending via Zoom.
- Shirley House Interfaith group has continued to host monthly meetings through 2022. Since lockdowns many of these meetings have been hybrid. Films shows, for copyright reasons, and shared meals have not been held on Zoom. We closed our ‘paid for’ Zoom account and now use single free 40-minute sessions with logging back in as necessary.
- We have only hosted two Sheffield Interfaith bring and share dinners in the last year.
- During 2022 the Council of Christians and Jews Sheffield Branch sadly ceased because there were not enough volunteers to form a committee. However, since Ray Lawrence died in the autumn Kath Lawrence has decided to revive the group and has a co-chair from All Saints Ecclesall.
- Last year we were contacted by Sarah Major of BBC Radio Sheffield about the possibility of an interview about one of our forthcoming events for the Sunday morning faith programme, but we have not yet followed this up.
Events since April 2022 are listed below, those in italics were not Shirley House Interfaith events.
- April 5th- Faith Symbols show and share
- April 10th- Dialogue Society annual community Iftaar, Broomhall
- April 18th - Madina Masjid (Wolseley Road) annual community Iftaar
- May 10th – Sheffield Interfaith AGM
- May 11th – Coffee evening
- June 3rd – Interfaith Walk for Queen’s Jubilee, Attercliffe
- June 7th – SIF Food & Friendship
- June 23rd – Concepts of belief in Humanism- Mike Heap
- June 29th – Faith and Belief in Buddhism – Mike Fitter
- July 14th – CCJ Social at the Synagogue
- July 17th – Interfaith barbecue lunch, SAPLC garden
- September 12th - Interfaith Quiz as part of Nether Edge Festival. (This replaced the annual ‘Sounds of the Spirit’ presentations organised by Gareth Jones over the last few years).
- October 16th - Sheffield Interfaith Zoom discussion ‘What got you involved with interfaith?’
- October 20th Talk on ‘Food in Judaism’ by Irenie Zelickman and Kath Lawrence, with many tasters such as chopped herring, matzos, humous and halva.
- November 16th – Talk by Chris Hewer, ‘Family as the basis of society’ St Peter’s Church Ellesmere, arranged by the Dialogue Society
- November 17th Sheffield Interfaith Food & Friendship bring and share dinner
- November 22nd – Talk on ‘Treatment of animals in Islam’ by Dahlia Tayel-Brown. (Hybrid meeting with Dahlia speaking from home displayed on TV at Shirley House, including PowerPoint pictures, with 3 other Zoom participants and 8 present in Shirley House.)
- December 14th – Winter Party– with team games and party refreshments (Not a quiz this year)
- January 23rd Talk with slides by Dr Vithal Patel ‘Introduction to Hinduism’
- 11th February Storytelling/musical entertainment at the Synagogue by Daniel Crainer
- February 15th Film show. “The man who knew infinity”
- March 15th ‘Any questions’ about ‘Rules and Customs in different religions’.